Swelling in pregnancy is a very common phenomenon. Swelling emerges from excessive blood that occurs in women during pregnancy.
The growing uterus puts pressure on the pelvic veins and the large vein on the right side of the body that receives blood from the lower parts of the body. Consequently, the blood flow is slowed down; Pressure from the blood caught in a trap contributes to water retention in the tissues of the feet and ankles. Sometimes pregnant women have excess water which accumulates in edema.
There are four stages of development of edema in pregnancy:
- Swelling in the feet and legs (edema of the feet);
- Swelling of the lower extremities, lower abdomen, and lumbosacral region;
- Join growing on the hands, the appearance plasticity “puffiness” of the face;
- General swelling.
How to know if you have swelling:
- Favorite shoes desperately tight?
- Wedding ring compresses the finger?
- Did you begin to put on weight more than (more than 300 g per week)?
- Try to push the skin with your finger, if the skin quickly leveled off, then everything is fine, but if left fossa, then most likely it is swelling.
- If only the legs swell (foot and ankle), then it is natural. Usually, the lack of fluid and constant thirst is due to the heightened needs of the body. They appear in the evening and go on their own in the morning.
However, if the swelling of the fingers joined, swelling in the legs becomes permanent (shoes become close), there is a swelling of the face, and such swelling may be a symptom of a far-reaching complication of pregnancy – preeclampsia (toxemia of late).
The emergence of edema with 20 weeks, of course, should alert the pregnant woman and her doctor. This lady needs a survey to determine the cause of swelling, but it should be remembered that not all the swelling, it was noted during pregnancy are associated with preeclampsia.
Swelling in pregnancy in the later stages can also occur due to violations of the outflow of urine due to the increased compression of the ureters uterus.
If no action is taken, the swelling can spread to the whole body. Of course, the visible swelling will be noticed not only by your doctor, but also you. But there are also hidden edemas or fluid retention in the body that are not striking. They can be suspected only if there are significant future moms or uneven weight gain.
Most often swelling in healthy pregnant women without the cardiovascular or renal disease, appear in the second half of pregnancy.
Usually, first, swell feet can then be added growing arms, abdomen, and face. The latter is particularly upset expectant mothers. After all, on the face of the strongest swollen eyelids. This is due to the anatomical features of the area. There is a loose tissue, which is like a sponge, ready to hold up liquid.
In the morning swelling in the legs are less visible, because the wet night evenly distributed throughout the body. But during the day, when you spend more time on feet, the liquid goes down, accumulating mainly in the ankles, feet on the back side, on the shins.
How to get rid of the swelling during pregnancy?
- Try to move more (sedentary lifestyle is contraindicated in edema);
- Lie Down everyday for 15 minutes with legs slightly raised.
- Foot massage: you can do with a sponge;
- Bath with sea salt. The water temperature is about 30-35 ° C;
- Do not limit the amount of fluid consumed. If the body is not getting enough liquid, it is trying to keep her. You need to drink up to 3 liters per day;
- Exercise regularly. Take charge;
- Avoid the use of sodium-rich foods (olives, salted nuts);
- Limit your intake of salt (up to 1-1.5 grams per day) in severe cases; go on a salt-free diet. Also exclude spices, spicy dishes, smoked foods, which cause hunger and inhibit the output of fluid from the body;
- Do not abuse the sweet and fizzy drinks that hinder withdrawal of fluid from the body;
- Wear morning tights with high waist before you get out of bed. Thus, blood will not stagnate at the ankles;
- Try to be smaller in the hot spot;
- Use the gel from swelling.
In consultation with the doctor you can use the following remedies:
- Birch leaf white as a tincture drink with difficulty urinating (prostate hypertrophy), as a diuretic for edema, and many others. Other ailments. Infusion: 1-2 tbsp. spoon leaves insist 1-2 hours in 1/2 liters of boiling water and drink one / 2-2 / 3 cups of infusion 3-5 times a day, preferably before meals.
- The fruits of garden parsley (sometimes roots) in the form of powder or tincture taken orally with inflammation of the prostate gland, as a diuretic in dropsy, edema of cardiac and renal origin. Powder from the fruit take on 0.5-1.0 g 3-5 times a day before meals, washed down with warm boiled water. The infusion of the roots or fruit: 1 tbsp. Raw spoon insists 8-10 hours in 2 tbsp. of boiling water and drink item. Spoons during the day.
- The leaves of bearberry (bear’s ear) in the form of infusion is taken orally as an antiseptic, disinfectant and diuretic for inflammation of the bladder and kidneys, chronic cystitis, stones in them, edema. Infusion: Art. Spoon leaves insist 2 hours in a glass of boiling water and drink item. Spoon infusion 3-4 times a day before meals. In some cases, when taken orally there is a feeling of nausea and even vomiting.
- Corn stigma as a tincture with honey taken orally for edema of cardiac origin as an active diuretic. Infusion: 1-2 tbsp. Insists 2-3 hours a spoon in a glass of boiling water. Filter, add 1-2 tbsp. Spoons of honey, stir and take 1-3 Art. Spoon sweet infusion of 2-3 hours.
- Meadowsweet herb as a tincture taken orally for edema as a strong diuretic. Infusion: 1-2 tbsp. tablespoons herb insist 2:00 in 2 cups of boiling water and drink 1/2 cup of warm infusion three times a day before meals.
- Grass orthosiphon (kidney tea) in the form of infusion is taken orally for edema of any origin as a diuretic. Infusion: 1-2 teaspoons of herbs insist 2 hours 2 tbsp. Boiling water and drink 1/2 Art. Warm infusion 3-4 times a day before meals.
- Grass and roots Eryngium Campestre in the form of infusion is taken orally as a diuretic for edema, dropsy, and many other diseases. Infusion: Art. Raw insist 2-3 hours a spoon in a glass of boiled water and take 2-3 tbsp. Tablespoons of infusion 3-5 times a day before meals.
- Leaves and roots of cow parsley in the form of infusion is taken orally for edema of different origin, and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Infusion: 2-3 tbsp. Spoons of raw insist 2:00 in 0.5 liters of boiling water and drink 1/2 Art. Warm infusion 3-5 times a day before meals.
Be Sure for a regular checkup!
Swelling, especially if they were up to 20 weeks of pregnancy may be a manifestation of a latent disease. There are times that pregnancy becomes a “push” detection of the disease, due to the increased load on the diseased organ. The swelling in the early stages in pregnancy should be carefully examined to check the kidneys and heart. Swelling of the feet may be associated with varicose veins in the legs.